Monday, May 08, 2006

Walk Away

How do you deal with people who insists on being rude to you or others every single time? My solution is always so simple, walk away.

When a so-called ‘friend’ repeatedly blew smoke to my face despite my having already chided him for so doing, I walked away.

When a client questioned my effort to settle his issues despite my repeated reassurance that I am doing the best that I can with the limited resources that I have, I hung up the phone, which is another version of walking away.

When an auntie insisted on asking offensively personal question despite my having told her off, albeit politely, I walked away.

I can’t count the number of times I walked away from annoyingly difficult situation like the ones above, too many I guess. It’s not cowardice, mind you. Sometimes, it take more guts to walk away from these people than to confront them. I know many of you lot out there would say, why do you need to run away? Stand up for yourself! Show this guy that you are one to be reckoned with. Yeah, right.

Sure, I stand up for myself all the time. If people are rude to me, I’ll tell them off. That is not a problem. Most of the time, people do have the common sense to know that their action or omission is affecting other people and they’ll refrain from continuing it, at least in your presence. But sometimes, confrontation does not work. What if some people simple refuse to either listen to you or to care how their action/inaction is affecting other people? Worse, if they actually enjoyed the attention they’re getting out of it and carried on simply to torment you. In these situations, further exchange of words are most likely to result in a more heated argument or even a fight. Unless you are prepared to engage in some sort of a violent clash, it would be better if you do what I do, walk away.

We can’t change the way people behave and we can’t tell people what to do. So long as they do not lay a finger on you, commit any crime or encroach on your rights, there really is nothing you can do to stop them. So, instead of letting it get to you, which would probably put you in a foul mood for the rest of the day, just walk away.

Don't stoop to their level and don’t bother trying to get through to them. Some people can be like donkeys. It’s useless talking to them. If a donkey kicks you in the butt, you walk away. You don’t kick it back because if you do, the kicking will never stop. You don’t shout at the donkey because it doesn’t or simply refuse to understand you. They are stubborn to the core. Just walk away, with your head held high, knowing that you shall not waste another minute dealing with an ass (pun intended). Now, THAT, is the best thing.

No comments: