Friday, November 24, 2006

The Thinking Process

At the office last week, a colleague commented, “I hairan le…. You duduk dalam bilik ajer, tak keluar-keluar langsung”

Errr, keluar where?

“I think I DID go to the washroom once or twice, pick up my printed documents at the printer and go to the boss’ room a coupla times. What do you mean tak keluar-keluar?”

“Ye la… asyik dok buat kerja kat bilik you aje… tak sembang-sembang dengan kitaorang pun”.

Excuse me?

I didn’t bother explaining to her that unlike her job scope of typing out letters and standard documents, preparing bills, and other usual mundane clerical stuff, my work requires me to peruse voluminous documents, bulky files and thick books and actually SIT DOWN AND THINK.

Did I sound like a snob? Well, who cares?

To some people, the thinking process is best done in long hours. As my mind adjusts to the situation, after having been imbued with thoughts of how delicious that nasi briyani I ate during lunch was, and that how sleepy I am feeling right now, once I get rid of all the distractions, the thought process actually becomes smoother and faster.

I don’t know about anyone else but I have to build up the momentum bit by bit until my brain is in full gear. This inevitably would take hours and any distraction would throw me off balance causing me to have to start all over again. If I were to come up with a report, solution, proposal or opinion on an issue, out of say, 4 solid hours that I have been processing it, I would have been most focused at the last and final hour.

And it would have taken me more than 4 hours to finish the job had I taken a break in between to go socializing around the office.

Of course they are geniuses who can do their thinking in a fraction of the time that I took to do mine, not to mention, having idle chit-chats somewhere in between. Silly me, thinking I’m so much more efficient than others.

But then, how efficient you are depends on how well you manage your time and deal with your inadequacies. In my case, I understand my own quirks pretty well I think.

Ah well, I guess, just like everyone else, I was just trying to do my job in my own tortoise-paced blur-sotong kinda way. I’ll socialize when I can, but when I need to focus, you better stay out of my way. You might not like it, you might think I’m sombong, but hey, that’s just the way I am.

6 comments:

tomcatt said...

macam sy jugak kalau dok bizi pikir jgn ada siapa berani kacau. sy debik sekali kang...

Typhoon Sue said...

tomcatt? or tomkat, as in tom cruise and katie holmes?

ayooo.... tak mo la kacau u, nanti kena debik tak pasal...

UglyButAdorable said...

saya kalau boleh nak buat begitu..tapi malangnyer saya selalu diganggu dan terpaksa memaniskan muka...kalau tak bukan lah saya leadership by example kepada staff...stresss...

Typhoon Sue said...

UBA, being a leader means among others, you must know where to draw the line. With your staff, it's best to be friendly but not too friendly, that is, you must never let them overide your authority.

but tell them nicely la, you don't have to 'debik' anyone who kacau you. tomcatt sorang je macam tu kut... kucing garang tul... :)

highheelseliparjepun said...

Kdg2 mmg kita perlu bersendiri..dan rasa tak nak bercakap kan?Even kat rumah sekalipun..Sy kdg2 pun mcm tu..dgn my mom sekalipun.If sy rasa tak nak bercakap..i just diam je.Kat ofis ni tak pnh plak ada org tegur bila berkelakuan 'aneh' ni...hehe..

And my kes lagi la teruk..Ni kisah dulu2 la..If ada rancangan menarik kat TV dan sy menumpukan sepenuh perhatian (and i really mean sepenuhnya)..Sy takkan layan perbualan2 adik2 sy..I will tell dia org"Kakcu nangga(tgk) TV.Sik maok kelaka (Tak nak bercakap)"..Dan takkan layan panggilan telefon.Kalau ada yg telefon,akan dpt dialog yg sama and my adik2 akan tlg sampaikan..hahaha..jahat kan?

Typhoon Sue said...

hhsj:

Yaaaa... jahatnyerrrr.....
hakhakhak