Saturday, December 30, 2006

Selamat Hari Raya Haji and Happy New Year!

Hari Raya Haji is here again. It’s the time when Muslims slaughter cows, bulls, sheeps, goats or camels as their korban and give the meat to the poor. In Saudi Arabia and many other countries, all of the sacrificial meat are packed up and sent off to poor Muslim countries almost as soon as the animal is slaughtered. In Malaysia, mostly we give out only the required portion of the meat to the poor and we feast on the rest ourselves by having barbeques and particularly in the northern region, daging bakar cicah air asam.

I remember the good old days when my late grandfather used to have the korban done at his house. A strapping young cow would be brought over to his backyard in the wee hours of the morning. After the Hari Raya Prayers, people all over the kampong will congregate at his house to do the necessary.

As kids, my cousins and I were not allowed near the cow in its moment of truth as adults fear that the sights of the bloody event would traumatize us.

Errr...Puhleeze!! I killed frogs for fun!!

True, cows are no frogs, but then again, a killing is a killing, big or small, even a child can understand it.

Anyway, despite the prohibition by the elders and their attempts at scaring us (“Don’t stand too near, if the blood sprays onto you, you’ll get warts!”), my cousins and I managed to squeeze in through the crowd every single time, and see the whole thing.

Once, in my eagerness to be up front and at the center of everything, I stood too near and the cow’s blood actually sprayed all over my face.

Needless to say, despite the devil may care attitude I put on in those days, I had sleepless night for many weeks expecting warts to pop out all over my face!

Ah… those were the days.

My grandfather is long gone now, and so is the family tradition. Although the same thing is still being carried out everywhere, with the usual amount of fanfare, somehow, it’s not the same thing anymore. But if I’m given the chance to relive those moments again exactly as I remember it, I’d do it in a heartbeat, warts and all…

Selamat Hari Raya Haji and Happy New Year everyone!!

6 comments:

su said...

Selamat Hari Raya Haji & Selamat Tahun Baru..

Typhoon Sue said...

From one Sue to another, may this new year bring us the happiness, success and blessed life we all hope for

elle said...

Selamat HAri Raya belated and a happy new year. Check out my new blog ...jommakan=semua.blogspot.com ya!!

Typhoon Sue said...

wokeh... tapi u kena la update selalu tau!

blog yg dah ada tu pun u tak update, ni buat blog baru plak... ;) jgn hangat2 tahi ayam ya! ahak ahak ahak ...

Kak Teh said...

selamat hari raya and selamat tahun baru. terima kasih kerana melawat blog kak teh.

Typhoon Sue said...

u 2 kak teh... happy hari raya and happy happy happy happy nuyear!!!!