Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Liar Liar

I have a friend who, throughout uni days, was a compulsive and habitual liar. She lied about everything under the sun, from everyday simple things to the most crucial bit of information. Any news she relayed were always prone to exaggeration and any story she told were more often than not, a fabricated tale of the utmost proportion.

Some of us referred to her as the big fat liar, literally. How sad!

It’s amazing how she would lie about the most insignificant thing. A simple chit-chat about nothing would be a gallery of some sort for some of her fabricated infos. None of us could fathom why she needed to lie so much, in particular, why she needed to lie about things that didn’t matter.

Once, while we were all comparing driving licenses, she stated that hers was under review because she didn’t renew it upon expiry.

Duh!!!

There is no such thing in Malaysia at the material time ( I don’t know about now, what with the P licence and all) but I did remember an episode of a certain American TV sitcom where the lead male character had his license reviewed for failure to renew it in time. Perhaps she got the idea there.

Another time, this dear friend of mine underwent a minor procedure for something to do with her anus (LOL), and she happily told everyone about the time when the surgeon showed off her condition to a couple of interns and they discussed it. The thing was, the procedure was done at a private hospital in KL…
No. (1) private hospitals are NOT teaching hospitals. They don’t teach, they don’t train, they just do.
No. (2) there are no interns in Malaysia. Medical students are called medical students, trainee doctors are called houseman. Internship is an American thing!
No.(3) there are NO med-students or houseman in private hospitals!!!
Of course, interns in hospitals are a concept shown to us widely in all American medical TV shows.

Another time, while a few of us were by the roadside, she was showing off her ‘knowledge’ about cars and machines when an old car passed by going ‘gek-gek-gek’ and she confidently pointed out that it needed water…. Heh.

Those are just a couple of examples that I can recall at the spur of the moment. But I do remember there being many more of similar lies.

I don’t understand why it mattered enough to her to have to lie about these. In fact, till now, I still can’t understand how having a bunch of people look and point at your anus would be a cool story to tell people!!!

Now, many many years later, we don’t really keep in touch anymore. But, knowing that she have a good job and is on her way to the top, I would’ve thought that she’d mature up. That lying is a thing of the past. That even if she does tell a little white lie every now and then (who doesn’t?), there’s always a good excuse for it. Most importantly, that lying is no longer a habit.

But I was wrong. Recently, I discovered by chance that she lied about something (a lie that was pretty harmless if you ask me) and when I contacted her about it, jokingly, just to tease, as old friends would, she told me this cock-and-bull story to explain that she didn’t do it.

I was astounded that she would lie about lying!!

But I let her have her peace of mind. I let her believe that I believed her. I didn’t lie to her myself but I didn’t tell her the truth either.

After that last telephone conversation with her, I felt so sad. I couldn’t stop thinking about it and was so disturbed that she is still that same childish insecure little girl who needed to lie to feel better about herself.

She was and still is my friend and I still do value that friendship even though we haven’t seen each other in over 5 years. I do wish there’s something I could do to make her snap out of it. The thing is, I don’t know how to break it to her, how to tell her that she have a reputation as a liar, that nobody ever believe anything she said unless they hear a second opinion from someone else, that people laugh at her behind her back…

I’m sad that she hasn’t changed a bit. Worse, I’m sad that I didn’t have the courage to tell her the truth.

I wish I am a better friend.

4 comments:

Abdun N.A. said...

Hi, I'm a new visitor....

I think by writing this particular entry, you have indirectly taken the courage to tell your friend about her lying behaviour. Hopefully she reads this too?

Typhoon Sue said...

hi there abdun, that's the general idea... *wink

thanks for visiting.

papadom_ullalla said...

hmm.. dun beat urself up kid. i know it's hard for u to tell the truth & tell her off becoz it will hurt her feelings. by keeping quiet u r just protecting her. friendz should protect each other rite?

Typhoon Sue said...

mr. papadom, that's another way of looking at it, yeah... don't think it's the right thing to do though.. ah well,... let's just leave it at that...