Monday, March 05, 2007

Serawa

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I have this itching craving for a hot bowl of serawa pisang. That’s the northern term for pengat pisang. As a kid, I used to eat bowls of this at one go. There is something simply divine about this sweet dish of heavenly banana cooked in divinely delicious rich creamy coconut milk with a little bit of sago thrown in.

I remember coming home from my kelas mengaji Quran in the afternoon to be welcomed by the sweet sweet aroma at the front door. I would practically sprint to the kitchen to get this steaming bowl of my favourite dessert, which as far as I’m concerned is a meal all in itself. The sweet and sour taste is so sinful, I would savour every spoonful, slurping it ever so loudly it’s almost obscene.

Mum still makes this wonderful serawa every now and then but I never get a chance to enjoy it anymore. Maybe it’s my fault for making myself scarce.

I know I can get it at the pasar malam or some other eatery, but somehow, no matter how lovely the presentation is, it just doesn’t taste the same. Perhaps it’s Mum’s ‘air tangan’ that was the missing ingredient.

The next time Mum is in town, I’ll ask her to make the serawa for me. Heck, I’ll beg and grovel if I have to, I’m craving it that much. While I’m at it, perhaps it’s time I learn some of her tricks in the kitchen. I want to be able to cook my favourite kari udang with yam, the ayam golek, the scrumptious sambal ikan bilis which no nasi lemak seller in KL can ever equal, the crispy yet tender cokodok, and mostly, the delectable array of sinful desserts, bubur jagung, bubur pulut hitam, bubur caca, cendol, and the list goes on and on and on.

And there goes my diet.

Oh, by the way, I just found the recipe for serawa pisang at this link:-
http://www.nst.com.my/Misc/goodbites/Recipe/20041008155453/pp_index_html

and a whole lot of other wicked recipes here.
http://resepi.mesra.net/

3 comments:

NURAINA A SAMAD said...

Goodness, Sue,

you're making me so ter-ingin. Down south we call it "kolak pisang". But it is "serawa durian". I suppose it's the same up north too, huh?

My late mum used to make it for tea. She died without ever passing down the recipe to me. BUT, my elder sisters semua dah pandai. So, (they must be regretting this), they would always have to take turns to make it for their younger sisters.

Ooh..gotta run and call my kakak (hmm which one shall I bully?) to make some for me. I want I want tomorrow!!!!
(Best gak jadi adik,ek?)

Typhoon Sue said...

wah... so many kakak to bully ah? bestnyerrr...

The Blueberry said...

Waaaa serawa pisang!!! Bestnya! Mak I dah lama tak buat nie, maybe one of these days I'll go back to kampung and pester her to make some!

Oh, and this lousy cook who can't fry fish to save her life LOVES Resepimesra Dot Net, marvellous recipes, macam-macam adaaaaa!!! And if you suddenly have cravings for anything western, italian, tex-mex, fusion or whatever crap you can think of, just visit Allrecipes.com.

Waaa Miss Nuraina, didn't know you're the bully type heheheee...