Tuesday, April 17, 2007

TAG- Blast From The Past

I was planning to write this last week but decided to postpone it because something came up, or rather someone came down…

Errr… bad joke. Sorry. Didn’t mean to be callous.

So this is my entry for today. I don’t know whether I can come up with something else to write about this week. Perhaps my plan of putting up at least 2 entries per week is not going to work after all. Why? Because,

1. I am too lazy to write
2. I am too lazy to write
3. I am too lazy to write

Need any more reason?

4. I am too lazy to write.

There.

In situation such as this, when I am scratching my head trying to figure out what to write just so my blog wouldn’t be so dormant and ‘not-happening’ (like it isn’t already!) I thank God for this thing we all call tag.

Pugly, who passed the torch to me, said,
“I know some people are quite reluctant to do this tagging/meme thing – some even regard it as ‘uncool’, but I don’t mind, really; aside from being a deeply uncool person, I think they’re rather fun. They are also a good way of getting to know someone better.”


My sentiments exactly. In fact, I think a tag is a blessing for me because I usually have no idea what to write and simply bulldoze my way through with incoherent ramblings and then jump from topic to topic before anyone can draw the next breath. So, no voodoo curse on Pugly for passing this on to me and no pretending that being tagged is a drag. My reaction to the whole thing is this instead:-

*kick off shoes, jump on the table and wave arms in the air, then do the chicken dance and yell, *

“WHOOOO…. HOOOOOOO!!!!!

YEEEE…HAAA!!!!!

OH YEAH…

OH YEAH…

OH YEAH….

WALLA WALLA BING BING!!!”



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



So there.

------------

The rules of this particular tag are as follows:-

Go to Pop Culture Madness site.
Pick the year you turned 18 years old.
Get yourself nostalgic over the songs that year.
Write something about how those songs affected you.
Pass it on to 5 more friends.


Now, I have a bone to pick with whoever started this tag. This is really an indirect but very very obvious way of finding out someone’s age! Given my vanity about my age as disclosed earlier after having just turned another year older less than a month ago, I’M NOT GOING TO DO IT!

But then, didn’t I just say I like tags? So I did.

So in that case, I’ll do this tag, but I’M CHEATING!!. I’m picking up songs from a certain year in my Not-A-Girl-Not-Yet-A-Woman” phase. Which year that is or what age that represents are anybody’s guess.

I wish I can be all cool like many of you out there who listed Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana or anything by Guns and Roses. But the truth is, I didn’t even know about Nirvana until Kurt Cobain died. And Guns and Roses, I was never a fan, not then, not now. It’s weird really, considering I was a so-called minah rock back in school and still do enjoy rock songs more than anything else even now.

But then again, as my band of choice back then were Bon Jovi who have now resorted to all sorts of rockish pop commercial crap instead of the likes of their Slippery When Wet phase, I suppose it’s easily understandable why I am not such a headbanger after all.

That said, please don’t boo me for my absolute lack of taste in music.

These are my choices.

Song # 1
Black or White – Michael Jackson

Ahh…. MJ… back then he was the ultimate performer. Love this one to bits because of the universally and politically correct message it supposedly bring, although the irony of him being a black boy who grew up to be a white lady was not lost on me.

Loved seing him perform live in KL, or rather seing him lip-synching live (he admitted to this).

Most of all, I love the music video, it has tremendous effect on me. Even now, if I go to the zoo today, I can’t look at the black jaguar without thinking of MJ.

But sad to say, MJ is no longer a jaguar, he’s now more like a monkey to me.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



Song # 2
Free Your Mind – En Vogue

With my penchant for politically correct, never-judge-a-book-by-it’s-cover theme, it’s not a big surprise that songs such as this one would make it to my list. With lyrics like

I wear tight clothing, high heel shoes
It doesn't mean that I'm a prostitute (no, no, no)
I like rap music, wear hip hop clothes
That doesn't mean that I'm out sellin' dope (no, no, no)

Oh my, forgive me for having straight hair
It doesn't mean there's another blood in my vein
I might date another race or color
It doesn't mean I don't like my strong black brothers

Free your mind and the rest will follow
Be color-blind, don't be so shallow
Free your mind and the rest will follow
Be color-blind, don't be so shallow

I guess, any self-proclaimed broad-minded intellectual would hail it as an anthem of sorts.

Song # 3
I’m Too Sexy – Right Said Fred

Okay, this is a total departure from the theme of the first 2 songs, but what the heck, I absolutely loved it! It’s goofy, it’s weird, it’s totally perasan, and it’s 100% fun! I'm too sexy for my car too sexy for my car, Too sexy by far, And I'm too sexy for my hat, Too sexy for my hat what do you think about that. I'm a model you know what I mean, And I do my little turn on the catwalk, Yeah on the catwalk on the catwalk yeah, I shake my little touche on the catwalk….

Song # 4
Constant Craving – KD Lang

I don’t know why I loved it then. I do remember though that I kept playing the tape over and over and over and over….

Song # 5
Acky Breaky Heart - Billy Ray Cyrus

This is by far the stupidest song that I’ve ever known (aside from I’m Too Sexy). I have never been a fan of country songs, nor have I ever been affected by one, but I found this tune to be very very infectious I was singing along to it everytime I heard it on the radio. No, I didn’t buy the album, but I did find it somewhat daunting that I knew every word back then and still remember the melody till now…. And what about that annoying country twang…. SOMEBODY PLEASE GET THAT SOUND OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!! ARRRRGHHHH!!!!

Okay, so I’m in denial. These songs may or may not be from the year in which I turned 18 as required by this meme. I refuse to let anyone dupe me into disclosing my age, and I let my vanity rule.

I have no idea who I’m going to tag…. And I don’t wanna impose this on anyone who may consider it a chore (or anyone who is vain about their age like I am and don’t feel like cheating like I did). So, I’d rather if the tag is done by people who actually want to do it. Any volunteers??

12 comments:

elviza said...

Sue,

You are cheating!!! I know those are not the songs when you were 18.

Come on now.... age is just a number. Lets embrace the principle of "age gracefully" (age gracefully my !@#$%% lah...)

I also no idea to write and ABSOLUTELY LAZY to work

Life is complicated

Manal said...

Poor MJ...the older he gets, the more jokes created.

You've got a mixed of straight, confused and gay singers there....:-)

J.T. said...

Hello TyphoonSue, I was blog hopping and came across your spot from Nuraina's blog.
Thanks for the link to Pop Culture Madness. It was fun going in to see what was cool in 1985 (for me). Ah! the memories.
I will drop in again. I like your jottings.

Typhoon Sue said...

what? no volunteers????

Typhoon Sue said...

elviza,
of course not. those are songs from when i was 15.

*wink*

manal,
that's because I'm a gaily (as in happily ya!) confused but straight-as-an-arrow type of person.

*gelak sorang-sorang*

j.t,
thank you and welcome to my humble abode. don't we all enjoy a visit down memory lane sometime?

:)

svetlana said...

for the life of me, i can't remember the songs when i was 18, 'cept may be the beatles.

pugly said...

`I'm Too Sexy' is a national anthem for gym-dwellers everywhere! ;-)

Typhoon Sue said...

svetlana:
check the pop culture website dear, maybe that'll jog your memory

pugly:
yes, except that i don't go to gyms...... :)

and I'm too sexy for this blog

svetlana said...

i have, and i only recognised less than 2.

oh! life is so cruel!!!

J.T. said...

Typhoon Sue, maybe I might volunteer. I tried tagging two other bloggers after Zorro got me to write my "last post" but those two bloggers still did not get down to it. One has a valid excuse. The other (my best friend) keeps procrastinating. So, I know how you feel. Maybe I imposed on them. Check my blog in a day or two.
Music has always been a part of my life and what better way to celebrate it.

J.T. said...

OK Ms Typhoon Sue... I did it! I volunteered to take on this Blast from the Past tag. You can read all about it in my blog. ;)

Typhoon Sue said...

SVETLANA:
oh... that's too bad...
yes, life can be cruel. No, wait a minute, life IS cruel.

J.T.:
FINALLY.... someone volunteered!!!!! thank you, thank you, i love you.... mmmuuuuuuuuahhhhhhhhhh

*plant a big kiss on j.t's cheek*

The last time I was tagged and had to tag 6 others, only 4 people bothered to respond, even if some of them did only a half-hearted entry. The other 2, one ignored it completely and one never updated his blog ever again till today (since February) (possibly pretending to have never been informed of the tag).

*sigh*