Thursday, September 27, 2007

Random Ramblings Not Worth Reading # 7

I’m glad that they’ve decided not to charge Nurin’s parents. Compassion and understanding aside, I think that the issue of negligence in their case is somewhat hazy.

So, all in all, I’m glad that the issue is out of the way. Now, let’s hope they can catch the monster soon.

-----------------------

Speaking of negligence, the next time you are at a swimming pool, do observe the behaviour of some parents who probably think that just because their kids can swim a few strokes, they can take their eyes of them the entire time.

Kids being kids, will do all sorts of stunts especially when they’re in the water. I cringe every time I see kids as young as 6 or 7 years old jumping into the deep end of the pool and their parents are nowhere to be seen. My own two adult feet can’t reach the floor, let alone their short little ones. Yet, their parents seem oblivious to the danger.

If, in fact, something happens to their kids, I bet my little toe they would blame the swimming pool management or the life guard and take none of the blame themselves.

------------------------

On the office front, I was told by a colleague that The Toad thinks that I have stopped talking to her, hinting on the possibility that The Sheep may have influenced me into not being friends with her anymore.

What the hell? I thought it was she who stopped talking to me after I snapped at her, not the other way around.

And what the bloody hell was she thinking, hinting that I can be so easily influenced?

Dumbass.

-----------------------

The other day, while putting my nephew Danial to bed, I lightly patted his bottom, as his mother often does, to rock him to sleep. Apparently, my light pats were none the lighter, for he exclaimed, “Maksu! That hurts! You are not a good mother!”.

WHAT THE BLOODY HELL??

“Darling, I’m not even a mother. I’m just your auntie and nobody’s mom”.

“Then why is it that I have to call you Mak?”


*LOL*

Took a while for me to explain to the poor thing of the whole Malay thingy for aunts and uncles and that the ‘Su’ in ‘Maksu’ refers to anak bongsu and not part of my name.

While I was at it, I also had to explain that my brothers, Danial’s Ayah Tam and Ayah Teh, are not named Hitam and Puteh respectively.

-------------------------

Some of my friends think that calling one’s aunts and uncles in the Malay way is archaic. Most of them get their own nieces and nephews to call them Auntie this and Uncle that. A bit more modern that way I guess. Although it is undoubtedly a matter of preference, I must however say that I find it a little lacking in character for my taste and that I wouldn’t trade my Maksu-ship for anything in the world.

I can’t always remember the sequence of the terms, so I always try to recall my father’s siblings in order to get it right. This is it:

Mak/Pak Long (or Chak, in some parts of the Northern states)
Mak/Pak Ngah
Mak/Pak Lang
Mak/Pak Anjang
Mak/Pak Andak
Mak/Pak Tam
Mak/Pak Teh
Mak/Pak Chik/Uda
Mak/Pak Su

I think the sequence may differ from state to state, so, please do tell me of any variation elsewhere. I’m keen to know.

------------------------

The Sheep has just approved my Raya leave, but complained that it’s too long.

It’s just ONE BLOODY WEEK!!!!

------------------------

But on the other hand, he’s anxious because he’s going to be in China around that time and needs someone he can trust to stand by in case he needs to give instructions from there.

Well, considering that there are several other lawyers here who may be able to do my work (although probably not as well as me if I may say so myself, haha) , I’ll take that as a compliment.


13 comments:

J.T. said...

You wrote:
"Mak/Pak Long (or Chak, in some parts of the Northern states)
Mak/Pak Ngah
Mak/Pak Lang
Mak/Pak Anjang
Mak/Pak Andak
Mak/Pak Tam
Mak/Pak Teh
Mak/Pak Chik/Uda
Mak/Pak Su"

Could you elaborate on the ones I do not know? I find it very interesting.
I guess Mak/Pak Long is for sulong (eldest), Ngah - tengah (middle)? .. and of course, Su - bongsu (youngest).

Coming from an Eurasian family, we just addressed our older relatives as Uncle or Aunty. Some family members have nicknames and we just add the respectful 'Uncle' or 'Aunty' to those names. Some sound funny like "Uncle Bobo" or "Aunty Toots". :D

Pi Bani said...

Dear Mak Typhoon Sue (or should that be Typhoon Mak Sue?),
Did you pat your nephew or did you spank him?! ;) I'm a maksu myself and I've even been bitten on my nose once while trying to put my nephew to sleep. (Oh, I pretended to sleep beside him so that he'd try to sleep as well... but he wanted to play some more and so he bit my nose instead! Never knew putting kids to sleep could be hazardous!!!)

Anyway, over at my office, no need to take leave for Raya... we close the whole week. YAYYYYY!!

a babe of very limple brain said...

hello long time no see. selamat bercuti hari raya. i too have applied for a total of five days worth of annual leave. whether it's approved or not, i am still going off for the whole week plus more.

in my family, aunts and uncles are called Bibi and Ami, with a stray Uncle/Aunty/Pak/Mak thrown in.

posa dak hari ni?

Typhoon Sue said...

JT:

Yes, Long refers to sulong. It’s equivalent Chak refers to besar (big) or as we northerners say it, besaq.
Ngah refers to tengah, but in big families like my dad’s it is usually for no.2.
Chik/Uda refers to kecil/kecik (small) or muda (young), and is usually reserved for the 2nd youngest.
Su is of course, for the bongsu kid like me.

As for the rest, I have no idea how they were derived.

PI BANI:
I guess I probably had spanked him instead. :-)
Luckily he didn’t retaliate by biting my nose, hahaha. Yes, I agree 100%, putting kids to bed is indeed very hazardous.

Wah… close for one week? Fat chance of that happening here. My office is so kedekut.
I’m so jealous.

Typhoon Sue said...

babe:
wey you! where's your blog? why everybody quitting one??? aiyoyooo

bibi is indon influence. ami mai dari mana plak?

posa kak. demam dah 3 hari, tapi ari ni dah posa balik.

selamat bercuti

Anonymous said...

Well, as for my family our siblings were call anyway they want. Some call us Auntie, others Mak. My grandnieces (my niece's children) were a given a choice of either calling me Nenek or Mama. They opted for Mama.

You know what, when the Sheep was here, I didn't talk to her at all, cos' can't stand even looking at her. She's lucky that you talked to her before.

Have a great break during Hari Raya....

A Babe Of Very Little Brain said...

yo sue!!! my blog's gone temporarily offline (ada kes of over-exposure), and i've kinda migrated everything over to FB. *giggle* only that i don't get much done there because i'm too busy killing people and throwingbombs and stealing booty and sailing the seas.

Typhoon Sue said...

anon:

huh? when the sheep was there? there where? She who?

Manal said...

aiyaa sue, bibi and ami are the kinda weird thing seripah and syed people addressing their aunts and uncles in kedah. Bibi supposedly paki influence and "ammi" shudve been correctly addressed to uncles from our paternal side (the right arabic way and "khaali" for uncles from mum's side).


About kids eh...i think once i have me own kids, i'll get better with other kids including my own nephews n niece. La ni asal boleh jer.

Anonymous said...

Wrong expression. It was supposed to be The Toad....

Byee....

NJ said...

Your nephew Danial sounds so cute and somewhat shrewd...hehe. He will make a good lawyer some day...

Typhoon Sue said...

BABE:
i figured as much. this FB thingy is a disease innit? i haven't gone to that level where i kill people on a daily basis yet. heck! i haven't even gotten over the whole poking thing

MANAL:
oooo..ye ke?

ANON:
ok then

NJ:
or a loyar buruk scientist. that's what he wants to be, a scientist.

BigDogDotCom said...

My family is Johorean. Down south, we call our elders "Ayah".

So the hierrachy in my family are as follows:


Ayah/Mak Long
Ayah/Mak Ngah
Ayah/Mak Uda (we call Ayahda / Mokda)
Ayah/Mak Anjang
Ayah/Mak Lang
Ayah/Mak Andak
Ayah/Mak Teh
Ayah/Mak Itam (my cousins call my dad Ayah Tam)
Ayah/Mak Chik
Ayah/Mak Chu

(We never had anyone in our extended family ever had anymore than 10 children. So I won't know what is the list beyond 10 people :) )

Some Javanese descendants family call their father "Bak". In our family (we are Malay), we call our fathers "Abah".