Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Hello Kitty

I have never been so sleepy in my entire life than I have been in the past few weeks. Maybe it’s because I have been waking up earlier than usual in the mornings to attend to my kittens. They are a demanding lot, them kitties. I have to play with them before I go to work, and pay full attention to them when I come back.

When they are sick I have to attend to them like mothers attend to their babies. I take them to the vet and give them antibiotics. I have to cuddle them and stroke them and make sure they know that they are loved.

I took them for their vaccination last Saturday and they were feverish thereafter. Mopster the eldest was very cranky and was seemingly angry at me for putting her through all that.

Understandably so. They were fine until I decided to take them to THAT place. “Nothing good ever come out of that place”, they must’ve thought.

“Everytime we go there, they shove that plastic thingy up our behind and then they stick a needle on our back”.

“That must’ve been why we can’t even walk properly afterwards”.

Poor kitties.

I find that I have been talking about my kittens at any chance I get. My friends must be so dead tired of hearing me speak now.

It’s much like those people with children- whenever you talk to them, they have nothing else to say except talk about their kids, and so you’re obliged to just say “Ooh!”, “Ah!”, “How cute!”, and just giggle along when they regale you with stories of how ‘adorable’ their kids are.

In order not to hurt their feelings, I have always found it necessary to just nod along and do all of the above, but deep inside, I have always thought, “GAWD! Enough already!! Don’t you have anything else to talk about?????”

Sadly, I have now unwittingly joined this group of people. Everything now revolves around my Mopster, Pippin and Blanket. I talk about them everyday and I think about them all the time, always thinking of what else can I do to make them happy. I don’t even care if I drive my friends crazy with all these kitty talk.

I have lost count of how much I have spent on their food, equipment, toys and medications. I know for a fact that I have spent more on them in the past 2 months than I spent on my own clothes, but I just don’t want to get the figures straight lest I pass out from shock.

And now, as I consider neutering my kittens, I can’t bear the thought of them being in pain from the procedures. I am not in favour of cats breeding all their lives, and with all the medical evidence pointing out the health benefits, it is clear that neutering of felines is good for them in the long run. But when I think of the pain they have to go through, I’m at a loss.

The good thing however is that my kitties are only 4 months old, so there’s time yet for me to think and prepare myself for the procedures. I hope I can get some perspective before the time comes.

Ah, how my life has turned upside down because of these 3.

Speaking of upside down, just last night as I was enjoying my dinner at home, I couldn’t stop chuckling at the irony of me eating raw fish that is sushi and sashimi whilst the kittens are eating cooked and processed tuna.

What a weird world this is!

13 comments:

Pi Bani said...

So, when will you start sending them to school? ;)

Kak Teh said...

from fish to cats! I love cats. We have five and one is sleeping righ beside me while i type, another one on my husband's lap, why he types. Children have been banished from the house. We have our priorities in order.

Typhoon Sue said...

pi bani:-
as soon as i found a montessori 'kittengarten'
:-)

kakteh:
*LOL*
the one one your lap must be sayin' "Let the kids know who's the boss here, eh?"

pugly said...

Of course, you always have the option of giving me one or two to help, erm, ease the burden :-)

Typhoon Sue said...

pugs:
amboi... tak cukup lagi ke kucing kat rumah tuh???

Anonymous said...

Sue,
You must'kasi' dia kucing (dia bukan orang jadi tak boleh cakap dia org)tuu!!!
Kalu tak yang female tu asyik beranak ranak je...tak terjaga you.
Yg si Jantan lak asyik kencing dlm rumah utk mark territory dia,macam celcom tulis 'This Is Celcom Terrty' lak.

Godaan kucing2 Jantan diluar tu boleh menyebabkan kcg Betina dlm rumah cakar langsir....langsung elope ,bermadu asmara tanpa pengetahuan ekaw,to come back in tatter sesudah madu dikecapi sepah dibuang.
Kang rumah kau jadi tempat pusat pemulihan akhlak kucing2 tua lak...jgn cakap aku tak kabo ekaw!!!

Sirtopa

Manal said...

Mak ngaiii....kalau mak budak citer kisah anak i this, anak i that, and u plak my kitty this n that.

U shud consider opening a trust fund for them then.

Teringat that fella J.sham yang penah jadi president persatuan cats lovers malaysia.

Kak Teh said...

Gosh, look at my typos!!!! Must be the cat typing. NOT MOI!

Hjh Esah Jolie said...

alamak...muka, macam takuttttt aje.adakah kau memegang rotan masa ambik gambar ni, Sue oii?

FairyGodmother said...

awww....

you really sound like a proud mommy.


and look at the 3 of them...padai posing for the camera!

Typhoon Sue said...

Sirtopa:
my cats don't mingle with those outside, so even if they're in heat, they can't mate. That's why I want to neuter them- so they don't have the need to.

manal:
yea. i bet my friends are bored stiff hearing me talk abt the kitties

kakteh:
*LOL*

makji:
tak de rotan makji... i just bribed them, "Duduk baik-baik nanti mummy bagi kibble wokayyy??"
:-)

fairygodmother:
and they even enjoy looking at the pics on my camera after that!

Roti Kacang Merah said...

kalau u hantar those furkids neutered kat professional and private vet (say, like the one in tmn segar Cheras) like I did for the my 2 youngest cats Labu & Labi, insyaAllah they'll be in pain sekejaaaaap je. the docs there did it seolah-olah like very simple procedure je. mahal la sikit, but at least it beats the heart ache, no???

tapi kalau hantar neuter kat cheapo vets (even the private ones) like I did for my eldest cat Adi, alahai kecian cangat. kena air sikit pun dia sakit... :-(

Typhoon Sue said...

roti kacang merah:
the vet near my house is quite okay. But my problem is, I have 3 kittens. Klu sekor RM300, 3 ekor dah RM900. Fullamak..... my own medical bills paling byk RM30 je sebulan. Dah le kibble nak yg mahal punya--whiskas & friskies tak mo. Dahtu kitty litter lagik, kena tukar new bag every week Mahal betul bebudak 3 ekor nih...