Thursday, August 14, 2008

Blast From The Past

Updated 17th August 2008 7.58pm

Okay, so all the negativity was unfounded. The gathering was a blast. Will write about it when I have time.


The last few days have been quite hectic. My work took me all over the city. My cats took me to the vet and back. My love life took me to the moon and back. And most unexpectedly, my old friends from school emerged out of nowhere and started inundating my Facebook.

It’s an amazing thing, that Facebook, where old pals and long-lost family members can find each other and get re-acquainted. Long have I wondered where all these creatures have gone off to. I’ve heard bits and pieces about their whereabouts, but I have never attempted any sort of communications with them, save for a few whom amazingly I have remained in touch with since leaving high school.

And with this new development came the need to meet and catch up on old times. A dear friend is coming down from Sabah and a reunion of sorts is being planned to coincide with her being in town. It is an opportunity not to be missed so I was told.

Truthfully, this brings a kind of a funny feeling for me-- a mixture of fondness added with a certain degree of sadness, regret and apprehension, making me uncertain of whether I need to be there for this blast from the past.

I have a valid excuse not to go. My eldest niece is getting married that day so technically, I’m required to be at the wedding reception in Kajang. But on the other hand, these people are my long-lost friends whom I have not seen in years. I want to meet up with them despite whatever negative feelings stirring up inside me.

It’s only 3 days away and I haven’t confirmed anything. I’m still rather wishy-washy about the whole thing but knowing myself and my last minute decisions, I may just take off straight from the kenduri in Kajang and ran all the way back to the city in my baju kurung and all just to meet up with all these people. After all, I did spend 5 years of my life living with them, so yeah, they do mean a lot to me.

If, by any chance, any of you reading this happen to be from that boarding school up north, y’know, the one located in the middle of nowhere deep in a rubber plantation guarded by a tall being who can leap over a building in a single bound and which mission was for its students to ‘belajar dan berbakti’, yes I am one of you.

Email me.

6 comments:

Kak Teh said...

Facebook? Oh no, not you too! I have so far resisted and am still unfacebooked.

Hope visit to vet is just routine.

Typhoon Sue said...

ah, why la kakteh? hop on and let's start facebooking each other lar, syiok tawwww!!!

My cats are in the process of being spayed. I'm doing it one by one because I need to give the manja babies individual attention each time. Sayu hati I ni tawww...

Pi Bani said...

Ala Sue... pergi aje. Kalau masa kenduri you pakai baju kurung meghelit-ghelit, pakai aje same baju to the reunion. I bet kalau dah jumpa gang-gang lama lupa diri seround! (ni speaking from experience lah ni...)

Koko said...

Macam kenal jek skolah tu
I hrd some of my seniosr r getting 2gthr this sun
U must be one of them
I think I know which 1 u r
:)

pugly said...

So, did you go?

Typhoon Sue said...

pi bani:
hmmm, ye la. I did go in the end. Lambat sikit but it was fab.

koko:
oh yea? junior la nih ye? email me ok.

pugs:
yes i did and it was a blast.