Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Calling Mr. Fauzul!

I have been using the same mobile number since the year 2000. Unlike some people who keep losing their cell phones or changing their numbers, I’ve never once lost mine or changed its number, well, at least I didn’t lose it permanently anyway. I accidentally left my cell phone in a cab sometime in 2004 but lucky for me the cab driver was gracious enough to return it to me.

In hindsight, I think he returned it because he realized that the Nokia 1210 he found was so crappy and worthless that he would make more money if he actually return the old contraption to the owner instead of trying to sell it off.

Oh well, I gave him the benefit of the doubt anyway,.. you are truly an angel Mr. Cab-Man for returning my phone. Here’s 20 bucks for your trouble.

Anyway, I changed my cell phone 3 times since then but the number remains the same. Since day 1 of me using that number, I have been receiving calls from people looking for one Mr. Fauzul, whom I assume must be the previous user of that ever so beautiful number (IT IS beautiful, I assure you). Politely, I would tell them that it’s the wrong number and then they would apologize and then we both hung up. End of story.

Now, 9 years later, once in 2, 3 months, I still receive calls from people looking for this Fauzul fella. It’s getting very very annoying. Don’t these people tell their friends when they change their number?

Worse, one time, someone left a message for him and guess what? It was his mother!!! Goodness gracious!

I’ve actually run out of creative ideas on the appropriate responses when receiving these calls. I’ve been polite, I’ve been business-like, I’ve been curt and I’ve been mean. It all depends on the mood of the moment.

One time, a child called looking for his Uncle Zul, I actually entertained the little fella when he didn’t understand what wrong number means. Well, at least until he asked me to sing a song for him. I draw the line at serenading strangers!

Another time, the caller insinuated something inappropriate when he called at 2 in the morning and was surprised to hear a woman answering the call instead of the male friend he expected. I actually spewed a flurry of curses down the line …. never mind who that idiot was, he didn’t know me anyway.

Last night someone called for him again and I told her that Fauzul is dead and that as his grieving widow, every call like this one would make my heart bleed all over again. Suffice to say, the caller was stumped!

I hope it wasn’t his mother!

10 comments:

Hjh Esah Jolie said...

jahat lah kau, Sue...

pugly said...

Ha'ah lah Sue, jahatlah kau ... entah2 memang betul orang tu dah meninggal ke ... entah2 his body is lying somewhere, undiscovered, tu yang even his mom pun tak tau tu.

Pi Bani said...

The frequent "wrong number" calls on my phone would usually ask for either Zul (I hope his full name is not Faizul!!) or Adelyn. The ones asking for Adelyn would be for something related to some shipment in Port Klang while the ones asking for Zul would usually be more for personal matters. Ada sekali tu siap hantar message kat I bagitau diorang dah siap, so minta tolong gi ambil kat a particular hotel. Masaklah depa menunggu kat hotel tu... :)

Jangan ada Ah Long call mintak hutang sudah!

Like you, I pun tak pernah tukar number ever since I owned a handphone. Kot tukar pun cuma from 010 to 019 - tu pun sebab dah lama sangat ketinggalan zaman... orang dah lama pakai SIM card I masih lagi pakai phone yang tak leh SMS tu... :)

Kama At-Tarawis said...

now kak puteri pun stumped! sampai hati kamu sue...LOL

Typhoon Sue said...

makji & pugs:
jahat pun jahatlah... janji aku puas ati.. hehe

pi bani:
ramai betul org nama zul ni e? :-)
yg tunggu kat hotel tu, u tak tolong gi amik ke? teringat satu episod citer Frasier, where he went to the airport to pick up a woman who mistakenly left a msg on his answering machine, and ended up having a good time with her.

kama:
heheh.. i dah fed-up dah dgn nama fauzul tu, sumpah. tu yg sampai ati I buat camtu

elviza said...

*Gulp!*

Kau Sue...sekali sekala keluar citer, brutal habis :-)

Take care my dear and a good 2009 ahead of you

Manal said...

Ntah2 that fauzul suka tak ur number and sbb jeles tak dpt , he went spreading it around like a disease?

Do u think some kinda serendipity might be coming to u outta this?

J.T. said...

That was brutal but too funny. :D

Typhoon Sue said...

elviza:
take care of urself too ok

manal:
i'm not such a romantic. serendipity like that cuma jadi dlm movie serendipity aje.

jt:
what can i say, i'm mean!

AmaZura said...

Found your blog by chance .. and this entry really get me laughing .. thanks ..