Saturday, May 02, 2009

Of Chok Keria & Krispy Kreme

Krispy Kreme has just opened its first outlet at Berjaya Times Square, so I'm told. L said it is divine, W couldn't wait to get her hands on some and R (or P, :-P) couldn't stop raving about how she had been waiting for years and years to taste it again.



Big deal, I said. The last time I ate a Krispy Kreme donut, I thought it was sickeningly sweet. So I never really cared for it that much. Besides, I pretty much prefer donut of the keledek variety, ie; kuih keria, or chok (cucur) keria.



Chok keria is one of my favourite Malay kuih, next to karipap, and kuih talam, and buah melaka, and pulut udang, and bingka ubi, and seri muka and... and...



Oh hell, I like everything, what can I say?



Chok keria is a kuih which I can never get tired of. It is simple, and it is down to earth, and it is simply yummy.



As far as donuts go, I have a thing for it every once in a while, but even so, I prefer the local flavour, like Duren Duren from Big Apple Donuts (Durian-lah, what else?). I love that yummy creamy durian filling, I can eat a whole dozen of it.



Sometime late last year, I practically binged on donuts day and night. It lasted for about 3 weeks, after which, I hadn't had a single donut since.



I'm sure I will have a craving for some more donuts pretty soon. I usually have this every few months. So, when the time comes when I can no longer sleep without thinking of donuts, donuts, and more donuts, maybe I'll try Krispy Kreme again to see what the fuss is all about.



But until then, I'll just enjoy the Chok Keria that I have in front of me right now. Yum-yum!







9 comments:

Your Average Mat said...

That coq keria sure looks yummy.. yummeyy..

Pi Bani said...

Oh yes, I prefer the local kuih keria anytime... lama pulaklah dah tak makan kuih ni. Kena pi cari lah during my next round of pasar tani... Sue punya pasal lah ni! Ish!

Kak Teh said...

sue, lama betui tak makan cucoq keria. nak kena balik malaysia baru boleh dapat. but i am also a fan of krispy kreme donut - nak buat macam mana. my husband dah banned this sweet stuff from the house...hish!

Typhoon Sue said...

your average mat:
kan? love it love it love

pi bani:
hahaha... just spreading the love my dear

kakteh:
meh balik sini, nanti i belanja chok keria baek punya.
krispy kreme is too sweet la, i didn't like it the last time i ate one.

Manal said...

Sue....I pun suka kuih keria panas itewww....and i suka simple caster sugar covered donut and I suka Krispy kreme too. Eat it while its warm is fabulous and u can always scrap those extra glazed sugar off. And if u r into choc, let me interest u with The Devil's food, now known (so lame and poyo) as glazed choc cake (as if kita cannot describe how that piece of mouthwatering benda alah looks like kan? bring back the Devil!).

Jom la follow kita and cik R aka P for some KK feast one of these days!

VersedAnggerik said...

Oyyyyy! My favourite kuih too!

Typhoon Sue said...

manal:
i think the glazed choc cake was d one i tried. I did scrap the glazed sugar off, and still didn't like it much. *shrugs* . what to do?

versedanggerik:
yum-yum kan?

nurulshima said...

i love keria.. theres this one small stall in some kampung in melaka that sells kueh keria n d name of the shop is kueh keria antarabangsa.. u should try it hunn, they start selling at 1.30pm and by 4pm they are all sold out ;)

typhoon sue said...

uih..!! teramat-amat sedap ke? next time gi melaka kena gi cari nih